Friday, March 2, 2012

Collars

Today I was asked about the industry terminology for different types of collars. What is a revere vs a notch vs a shawl collar? Everyone has seen many examples of each but what exactly categorizes one from another. So I thought I would share my findings. Revere collars proved the most difficult to find examples of until I previewed the Louis Vuitton Spring 2012 show. Revere collars are the staple of the collection, so 50's proper housewife. A revere collar is defined as a lapel without a collar back. A shawl collar is a continuous lapel and collar in one. Think sleek Calvin Klien Oscar worthy glamour. And a notch collar, which I find the most common, is a collar with a space/seam between collar and lapel. Currently I am working on creating a pattern, cutting and sewing my own version of a revere collared dress. Wish me luck!